Hoa Pham

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

a beginners blog

This is my first blog. I was inspired by Tom Cho's blog on his transition to being a man.
I have yet to define the purpose of this blog. A public memory space for people to hear my thoughts on - writing process - being Vietnamese-Australian and a banana identity- and so people can read my thoughts without having to load it all on my website hoapham.net

So to start off today- I had an interesting conversation with a researcher who is looking at pho and identity. Why pho? If you don't know it's a noodle dish from Vietnam of beef broth and rice noodles. I think she was less interested in talking to me than talking to my parents.

Which is a shame because I could have talked to her about identity, in particular Vietnamese identity in Australia. I'm writing my thesis on this as relates to Vietnamese-Australian artists such as authors and playwrights like myself.

I use the word banana identity very loosely here. I am yellow on the outside and mostly white on the inside. But the more I look inwards the more I identify a yellow streak running in there somewhere.

More on this tomorrow- when I have more time.

1 Comments:

  • hi hoa

    saw from tom's blog that you are also now bitten by the blog-bug. was that pho person the one I posted to the aa_discuss list about? I'm glad you met up with her (if she's the one I'm thinking of!).

    also, would it be ok to list your blog in the links of mine? I'm trying to keep track of AAustn blogs.

    good to see you the other night. next time, let's try to sit together so we can at least have a catch-up chat!

    tseen

    By Blogger Tseen, at 5:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home