Hoa Pham

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

saving face and an on line idea

Today i'm thinking of starting up an on line journal for us Asian Australians. Suzie Lee has already started a site for multimedia and arts where people can post up stuff which I'm looking forward to looking at. I'm looking at I guess a bit more conventional literary journal so we don't have to wait for the special issues of journals to post our work up there. I'd also like to add to the sense of community that the meet ups already have and have a forum where people can post responses to the articles, and opinions etc. I've been conferring with Tom and Tseen on this- more about this later when it becomes more concrete.

I saw "Saving Face" a Chinese-American Chinese-American Chick Flick about a girl whose mother moves in with her and her ongoing relationship with a gorgeous dancer and how she has to hide it (trying not to spoil it for anyone here). It was fluffy and non challenging but I thought it was great that such a film was made and got distributed.

I've been looking at other Asian-Canadian and Asian-American websites and what they have been doing and it all looks so great...At the AA symposium Evelyn Lee ( I think it was) talked about how in the next 30-50 years we could formalise AA studies within the academe starting with a single subject etc. She also talked about the dangers of it too. Just looking at what gets funded with the two main grants bodies here it's almost like you have to fit a certain paradigm to even get started and you lose your artistic diversity and freedom (ie having to fit into definitions like literary, having to be a legal organisation etc). I think the AA growth here has been really organic and I'd hate to see it lose that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home