Hoa Pham

Sunday, February 18, 2007

last night in Hanoi

It is my last night in Hanoi before I go to Ho Chi Minh City to go on a three week journey with Thich Nhat Hanh- a famous Vietnamese Zen Monk whom is in exile from Vietnam (Because he supported ending the war). I will be in Saigon, Dalat and then hopefully Bao Loc depending on when I can change my flight out till. I will be blogging this trip on my other blog at
http://interbeinginvietnam.blogspot.com/ since it will have mostly to do with reflections on Buddhist stuff.
Been catching up with the few true friends I've made in Vietnam and spending time doing last minute shopping. My mother's partner Anthony whom is white South African has had to hide when we go into shops so they won't put the prices up. Hanoi during Tet is amazingly different most of the shops are closed and on the second day people come out in their best clothes to visit people.
I'm sad I'm leaving Hanoi and the residency is almost over. But it's been a productive time and I've gained a lot from the residency- as well as the two publications I already mentioned Griffith Review is interested in seeing a piece from me as well after I sent them a proposal.
It has planted the seeds in my imagination for more work to come, and given me more grist for the mill for my theatre project Silence. Actualising my Buddhist beliefs into practice has also been a turning point for me.

1 Comments:

  • Sounds that you had a great trip! I found that Buddhism is extremely GREAT too.
    I now start with your book...

    By Blogger Alice, at 2:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home