Hoa Pham

Monday, February 05, 2007

another Vietnamese author


Just met with another established Vietnamese author whom was quite honest with me about what is allowed and what isn't allowed for writers to write about. In Vietnam you cannot write against the government, incite violence, have too much sex in your story and something about you cannot write against the unity of ethnic diversity (huh???) I think he means against ethnic minorities. He has waited six years for a book to be published- a very patient man methinks. He also commented that the literature conference I went to was not a very intellectual one which concurs with my American colleagues conclusions about it. His opinion of the Vietnamese writing scene is that many writers write for themselves rather than for the audience.
Here is a picture of people exercising near Hoan Kiem Lake I have on the occassion been awake and about to see this early in the morning- around 6 am.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home