Hoa Pham

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

a perilious wave

My on line journal idea is growing legs and I'm meeting with Tom Cho and Tseen Khoo on Sunday with my partner who is doing the IT work. It's now called "peril" and it's motif the tsunami wave. Why the wave? Because of the mometum and build up I feel that is out there in Asian Australia networks and artists. Soon we will have an impact of our own accord. I like bouncing my ideas off Tom and Tseen they are both amazing thinkers.
My interviews for my thesis are proceeding nicely. I've interviewed Tony Le Nguyen and Chi Vu who haven't approved their interview transcripts yet so I can't comment on them. But the 1.5 generation artists I'm interviewing have a different view from what Mandy Thomas' sample has provided her with- however her work is now 5 years old and the constant that I'm getting with the interviews is that identity and relationships with Vietnam change over time and is something that people revisit. Like Trinh T Minh Ha (a Vietnamese academic and film maker I'm reading up on at the moment) says "Identity is a way of re departing. The return to a denied heritage allows one to start again with different re departures, different pauses, different re arrivals." (When the moon waxes red p.14) She writes so beautifully I wonder whether I could write as poetically about such topics.
Hmmm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home