Hoa Pham

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

representing madness

I've been reading a book called "reading psychosis" by Keitel which analyses different literary representations of psychosis. It mentions that it is almost impossible to render the experience of psychosis into a literary form and language since the experience is beyond language itself. I've also read 4.48 psychosis a play by Sarah Kane- which I did not find as experimental as I hoped- it does things with form of the play but I found the content repetitive and unenlightening. I've been thinking about my own work and how I am using psychosis as a narrattive device in the case of my thesis novel "Digging up the bones". I want to structure Ba's recollections as flashbacks that are out of order and centre around moments of greatest stress in her life (of which there are a few). I have been warned to not romanticise mental illness and I don't think I do- Ba is in great distress during most of the novel. I have been thinking about extending my HEAT piece into a novel length work- but the challenge will be to keep it interesting. I've applied for the Peter Blazey fellowship on the strength of this idea- as a fictional autobiography- if such a thing exists. My partner thinks it's a lazy descriptor and you may as well call it fiction but I guess he doesn't differentiate between autobiography that is only one version of the reality of what could have happened and toying with the form and straight out prose fiction.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home