Hoa Pham

Saturday, November 04, 2006

ethnology museum

I went to the Museum of Ethnology which Lien took me to (her name means Lotus). There was an interesting exhibition about the period after the war from 1975-1985 before doi moi. This public exhibition was quite open about the fact that theatre, music and literature was censored and banned during this period and view the now classics as being controversial during their time. Lien says to me the censorship is a thing of the past now. (There's just corruption instead!). Karen told me last night that censorship is erratic and that there is a new law for film makers that they cannot criticise the government.
For another view on censorship in Vietnam try this web page by Tran Vu whom is a Vietnamese-American.
http://www.apwn.net/index.php?/apwn/more/freedom_of_speech_a_perspective_of_literature_in_vietnam/
Rose Moxham has told me that her landlord was a dissident artist whom was imprisoned for four years then released. He is now under house arrest- but still goes around- but I wonder if he produces art. I have read an art magazine its first issue from the Goethe Institute which has also published the commentary of an artist whom was imprisoned and released recently.
So although I am seeing some freedom perhaps it is illusory- but then again with the ABC axing the Glasshouse I'm wondering whether we too in the West are labouring under an illusion too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home