Hoa Pham

Monday, October 23, 2006

seven basic plots

I've just been reading the above title and it's worth reading for anyone interested in writing. It covers the seven basic plots that all stories are said to be derived from- and talks about the need to tell story and what drives it. In a badly paraphrased nutshell the drive to tell story is about the need to unite the ego with the Self (higher self that is) or in Buddhist terms become egoless and at one with the world. Stories are about what happens when you either succeed or fail at uniting these elements. When I'm in Vietnam (Leaving tomorrow for an asialink residency) I'll be studying this because my weakest point in my writing is structure- in terms of having a climax resolution and ending. I know short story and fable form really well which is how I wrote Vixen, but novels are still a challenge for me. As someone once said you don't learn how to write a novel, you learn how to write a particular novel and I think that's true.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home