Hoa Pham

Thursday, October 12, 2006

the look

Been reading Kaja Silverman's The Threshold of the Visible World which is about the look, the gaze and the development of self image- in particular when your mirror reflection does not reflect the ideal of white masculinity. This is for my thesis but it has intrigued me on a personal level as well. It was not until I was 21 that I really accepted that Asians could be beautiful, after experiments with blonde hair dye and being dumped for a pretty blonde girl by one drop kick. I had internalised for a long time that only blonde was beautiful- I remember when I was six drawing pictures of myself with blonde hair. I am also intrigued by the Woman Warrior in which a Chinese girl torments another Chinese girl and finds her ugly and repulsive. One day I will read the Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison which is about a black girl who wants to be like Shirley Temple and in the end is driven mad by her surroundings. I wonder whether Asian girls growing up now experience the same things- or whether with the increase of the number of Asian girls, the idolising of Lucy Liu and the popularity of Asian things means that this is less of an issue.

1 Comments:

  • Hi Jen
    I wrote mixing metaphors a long time ago on a deceased computer. If you post up an e mail address I can send you a e version of a lecture I did in Woolongong not long ago if it helps.

    Cheers Hoa

    By Blogger Hoa, at 10:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home