Hoa Pham

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

mythology

Just reading Roland Barthes "Writing Degree Zero" for my thesis work and have hit on a concept which resonates for me in my writing at the moment. Barthes talks about style: " a self sufficient language is evolved which has its roots only in the depths of the author's personal and secret mythology" (p.10). I've been also reading Tori Amos' biography of sorts "piece by piece" and she draws on archetypes a lot. Getting in touch and making conscious my own mythology can only help my writing process I think. Definitely the shapechanger, transformation incarnated has resonance for me, and more recently the mad woman. I also related to the hungry ghost when I was younger. I'm looking at Brian Castro's Birds of Passage at the moment- and now I look at it closely it is so well constructed- along theories and a grand design which I am trying to second guess in my critical work. He is distant from madness whilst I am not. I've been talking to another artist with bipolar and we've shared stories. We are thinking of creating a theatre piece from this- but don't know the where or the how yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home