Hoa Pham

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

writers with something to say

I read with horror yesterday that Druscilla Mojewska views in her jaundiced way that creative writing students have nothing to say. As a creative writing student myself I protest! I think that it's very important to have these courses because it helps students learn how to say things, and gain the support and commitment to their writing that they might require. The stories we tell ourselves and the broader public is very important- it tells us of whom we are or could be in some ways and can reflect society at large. As Carmen Lawrence says and I paraphrase badly- one of the roles of literature is to challenge the status quo and push the envelope. I'm sick of people bashing these courses- they are beneficial. If they complain that it produces work that is bland and too similiar, well I don't hear people complaining about Tim Winton and MJ Hyland's work in this way- both graduates of these creative courses.
I think there is a piece in this- but I have to put my thinking cap on and not just have a rant at stupid generalisations...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home