Hoa Pham

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

living in fear- a film

Last nite saw living in fear- a Vietnamese film which was about an ex South Vietnamese vet whom has to support his two families by digging up land mines. It was a really good movie which won awards at Asian film festivals- I hope to get it on DVD and bring home to show people. It was shown at the Hanoi Cinematheque which is hidden in a laneway where you have to pass lanes of other people's houses and then emerge into this colonial space, with a square, restaurant and bar!
I've also had a local dining experience, sitting on the footpath on mats near West Lake with mopeds whizzing past, eating pho cuon- deep fried pho noodles- a hanoian speciality. I didn't get sick afterwards- and it was delicious! At the Gioi I have been proofreading satirical folk tales which make me laugh. I have also been reading Strange Tales from a Chinese Studio by Pu Songling- in translation of course- which has lots of fox tales and ghosts in it- admittedly very chauvanistic tales. Has been feeding the myth maker in me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home