Hoa Pham

Sunday, December 03, 2006

what I'd like to do

"You never learn how to write a novel," he said. "You just learn how to write the novel that you're writing." This is from Gene Wolfe and I got it from Neil Gaiman's website.
I think he's right. I have found that each novel length work I have written has had a different process. The last one that I completed "Digging up the bones" was done in segments because I was handing the work over to my supervisor Kathleen Fallon. I'm now struggling with the sequel to Vixen because the characters aren't talking to me the way they did during the writing of Vixen. I think they might be on strike or think that modernity is not very interesting. They find love more interesting and in particular falling in love. Kitty is also very lonely so I might write about that. Being a supernatural creature may not be a lot of fun nowadays if there aren't many of you around. So it might be that what I turn out is very different from what I pitched for the Asialink grant. There are types of books that I would like to write- one on Asian archetypes, another on Buddhist self discovery- but these will be a long time in coming.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home